The week before last was reading week at Roehampton. Yes I did do a bit of reading, not enough, but some. Anyway, my friend Clarissa and I decided to take a long weekend and to make a little visit to our friend Noemi in Zurich. We left from London Gatwick on Thursday evening and arrived in Zurich about an hour later. Noemi, being the wonderful hostess she is, picked us up from the airport and let us stay at her apartment during our visit.
Seeing that we arrived Thursday evening, we didn't really do anything (except watch episodes of our favorite show Chuck on dvd that Clarissa had brought with her). Waking up the next morning, in Switzerland, was amazing. You see, Noemi has a nice apartment on Lake Zurich with a gorgeous view of the mountains. After breakfast on our fist day in Zurich, Noemi had to work so Clarissa an I walked allllllll around Zurich alllllll day long. We visited the Swiss Museum - very cool! I couldn't read about half of what I saw but I still feel like I learned something. We walked along the cobbled back streets and along the river. We saw beautiful architecture and very high priced menus (we searched everywhere for some place to have lunch, but everything was so expensive! We ended up going to Starbucks and having coffee for 7 Swiss Francs. And, even though the Swiss Franc is about even with the dollar, everything was doubled in price. Crazy, crazy Swiss...). Because we couldn't afford anything else, Clarissa and I bought chocolate - something that we weren't going to leave without getting. Finally we met Noemi for dinner. After, we returned home, snacked on chocolate and Swiss Christmas cookies in our pjs, and watched more Chuck :)
On day two we made a quick trip to the store, made some sandwiches, and headed to Luzern for the day. We tried to go to the top of a mountain but the lift was REALLY expensive :( So we resorted to having our little picnic near a lake with the beautiful mountains in the background. Really breathtaking.... Of course, afterward, we found a bakery and had dessert. Then we found a factory and museum where they made glass. Apparently that area is famous for it. We watched them make the glass: they pour the molten glass-stuff into a mold, shape it, blow it, and other stuff but that's what I remember most lol. Anyway, it was very cool. Next we made our way to Luzern. We walked, and walked, and walked, until we finally crashed in Starbucks and took a little power nap. We woke ourselves up, got some caffine, and after a bit met up with a friend of Noemis. We went out for dinner to a little Italian place. Very good. After dinner, we decided to go out. First we went to this American style bar (What are the odds. I go to Europe to get away from America, and end up in an American bar haha...) called Road House. We had a drink and talked for quite a bit, but Noemi and her friend wanted to dance and the music at Road House wasn't very good so we moved on. Next we went to Black sheep, a fun little club that was absolutely packed. I've never seen so many people in one space before! We were probably breaking some kind of fire code there were so many lol. We danced the night away and finally got back home at like 2:30 or 3. Fun night :)
Day 3: We definitely slept in.... We took our time with breakfast, at about noon, and finished our season of Chuck. Finally we got dressed, and Noemi took us to this lovely vineyard near by. The grounds were beautiful. The fall colors were still hanging on and were gorgeous. We walked all around. Some parts of it reminded me of the mountains back in GA in the fall. So lovely. When we finished we returned home for an early dinner of fondu... MmMmMmMm :) Brad and melty cheese with white whine - what could be better?! Following dinner we got our things together and headed to downtown Zurich to hang out for a bit while we waited for our flight.
I loved Switzerland! It was so beautiful. I could not stop staring at those snow capped mountains and clear clean water of massive Lake Zurich. If everything hadn't been so expensive, it would have been a perfect place :) And that is the story of my trip to Switzerland.
The End
Thanks for reading. Stay tuned.
This post makes me so happy :) It reminds me of the gazillion times I went to Switzerland last year! I actually went to both Luzern and Zurich too (the latter with Molly) and absolutely loved both of those cities! It sounds like you girls had such a good time, and I'm glad you were able to get lots of chocolate and fondue...YUM!!!! And reading the part about you getting meals in Starbucks reminded me of what I did when I traveled in Switzerland by myself- I would get Starbucks for lunch/dinner because it was literally the cheapest meal I could find!!!!
ReplyDeleteI love reliving my abroad experience vicariously through you!!!!!!!!
Aw haha thanks Kristen :) I really did love Switzerland!
ReplyDelete